For Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin)To turn on/off Unity/Compiz window animations and visual effects in Ubuntu -
- Go to System Settings from the Ubuntu dash
- Under 'Personal', click on the 'MyUnity' icon
- In the 'MyUnity' window, go to 'desktop' tab and set the 'Windows animations' property accordingly.
For Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal)
- Install the CompizConfig Settings Manager application
- This is available via Ubuntu Software Centre
- For installing via apt - sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
- Start the application and go to Category > Effects from the left panel
- Enable or disable effects as desired.
Reference: 11 Tips To Speed Up Computers Running Ubuntu 12.04/Linux Mint 13 (Maya)